August 12, 2012
A few more Sunday practice nuggets
1. First-team offensive line looks really good. But the second-team line needs a lot of work. Garrett Greenlea was working some at second team left tackle on Sunday with Sedrick Flowers at left guard, Garrett Porter at center, Thomas Ashcraft at right guard and Luke Poehlmann at right tackle.
There has been talk of working Sedrick Flowers some at center to push Porter. There is a sense of concern about dropoff at tackle and center on the second-team line.
2. LB Demarco Cobbs sat out of practice Sunday after twisting his ankle. He'll be fine. Should be ready for Monday's scrimmage.
3. LB Tevin Jackson had a big day Sunday, lighting up RB Malcolm Brown twice in 7-on-7 running game work. It was Tevin Jackson's best day of fall camp. By far.
4. QB Jalen Overstreet impressed with his arm strength in red zone work. His mobility also stood out in that area, keeping plays alive. "That kid has a knife of an arm," one observer said.
5. DT Brandon Moore is giving everyone fits when he's fresh. "That guy is a monster when he's dialed in," one observer said. "He's just so big and strong."
6. Freshman K Nick Jordan had a good day today, easily connecting on field goals from 40 yards out. With Penn State transfer Anthony Fera nursing a groin strain, that's a significant development.
7. QBs David Ash and Case McCoy both continue to do good things. But there still doesn't seem to be a ton of separation at this point, one observer said. "The scrimmage should tell a lot about where these guys are," the observer said.
8. RB Johnathan Gray looked good in those 7-on-7 running situations, making guys miss in tight quarters. "That's the thing that stands out to me about Gray is his ability to make guys miss in the hole," one observer said. "That's what made Emmitt Smith - his feet and ability to make guys miss from point-blank range. I see some of that in Gray."
9. CB Carrington Byndom had an interception on Sunday, and DBs Quandre Diggs, Adrian Phillips and Duke Thomas also had pass breakups in one-on-one work.
10. WR John Harris had two TD receptions in red zone work and just dominates physically at times. "He's 6-3 and every bit of 215 pounds," one observer said. "And his technique has come a long way."
11. One observer said of WR Jaxon Shipley - "He just looks like a senior with the way he works and gets open. Impressive."
12. Mike Davis had a good day, catching a tough ball against Byndom. "Mike Davis has been consistent. Consistently good," one observer said.
13. The offense used a lot of double tight ends in the short-yardage and goal line work.
First scrimmage of fall camp Monday will be big.
...More... To continue reading this article you must be a member. Sign Up Now for a FREE Trial