ULM went hard in the state of Texas, where it signed 11 players. It also inked six from Mississippi and five from Louisiana. The thing that stands out most is that the group overall is very athletic and features a lot of speed. How many will contribute in 2009 remains to be seen, but overall, it is a solid class with talent on both sides of the ball.
LB Antonio Hoskins—An original Mississippi State signee, Hoskins (6-0, 208) should provide immediate help.
S Cameron Blakes—The 6-2, 205-pounder was an outstanding high school linebacker, but he could push for immediate playing time at safety.
DE Quantez Hunter—ULM needs help up front, and the City College of San Francisco transfer should provide immediate help.
WR Cordario Calvin—The Delta State Community College transfer will provide immediate help and experience at the position. He ranked in the top 30 in the JUCO ranks in receptions and touchdowns last season.
• ULM lost senior quarterback Kinsmon Lancaster, who threw for more than 2,000 yards, 18 touchdowns and just seven interceptions. He also rushed for more than 600 yards and four touchdowns.
• RB Frank Goodin had a solid sophomore season, rushing for almost 800 yards and five touchdowns.
• ULM returns one of the top linebackers in the Sun Belt in senior Cardia Jackson, who had a team-high 127 tackles, including eight for losses and four sacks last season.
Quote To Note: "I really believe this has the opportunity to be as good a recruiting class as we have had since we've been here. The proof will be in the pudding when the players get here, but based on what we have seen on film and in person, we believe that we have a great group of young men."—ULM coach Charlie Weatherbie.
Strategy And Personnel
Spring Ahead: The Warhawks go into spring practice having to replace three-year starting quarterback Kinsmon Lancaster. Junior Trey Revell is one of the leading candidates, along with SMU transfer Zach Rhodes to place Lancaster, but there are certainly question marks at the position. Incoming freshman Kolton Browning from Mabank, Texas, could be in the mix. ULM returns a lot of talent on both sides of the ball, but it must improve up front defensively if it is going to be in the upper echelon in the Sun Belt.
TE Zeek Zacharie—He has good size and caught 46 passes with four touchdowns in 2008. He'll likely have to make a roster as a free agent.
• WR Marty Humphrey (broken fibula) missed the last three games of the season, but will return to the program as a graduate assistant.
• DB James Truxillo (knee) missed the last 10 games.
• DE Alaric Coleman (back) missed the last 10 games.