Latest Team Rankings
Free Text Alerts
|ShopMobileRadio RSSRivals.com Yahoo! Sports|
|College Teams||High Schools|
September 12, 2009
Texas Southern Game Day
ULM is looking to rebound from their loss last week at #2 Texas. In the season opening game, the Warhawks did manage to do many positive things on the field, such as scoring 20 points on Texas, the most ever by a Sun Belt Conference team; did not allow a sack, just the fourth time in their last 41 games that Texas didn't sack the opposing QB; and Texas' three turnovers were the most since they faced Texas A&M in 2007.
Now all of the Warhawk's attention turns to the Tigers of Texas Southern, who also dropped their season opener to conference rival Prairie View A&M.
The Tigers had a strong first quarter showing, returning an interception for their lone score, before being unable to make defensive stops leading to them falling 17-7. TSU's defense allowed only 176 yards, but gave up big plays especially on the ground.
Things to watch for:
- After the first game of the year, sophomore Luther Ambrose ranks eighth nationally in all-purpose yardage with 207 yards. This after he played just one quarter due to injury.
- Junior running back Frank Goodin needs just 140 yards to break into the top ten in the ULM career yardage history book. Last season, the Tigers allowed 440 yards to Arkansas State, including 209 to Derek Lawson.
- In the season opener, the Warhawks ran several offensive series' from the Warhawk formation with speedy receiver Darrell McNeal at quarterback. Will this continue versus Texas Southern?
- Texas Southern All-American William Osborne returns after finishing the 2008 season second in the nation in all-purpose yardage with 2,308.
- The Tiger offense will feature two former Tigers of LSU. Offensive lineman Earnest McCoy and receiver Ricky Dixon are now apart of the TSU football team, Neither are not required to sit out a season by transferring to a lower tiered school, as TSU is a member of the NCAA's FCS subdivision.
- Some fans may recognize running backs coach Melvin Spears, former Grambling State head coach.
game prediction – ULM 30 – Texas Southern 10